Dust Mite Allergies & Options for Relief
Posted on: August 16, 2016 | Posted in Allergy Relief
The dust mite, also called the bed mite, are tiny creatures that could be the cause of your allergy issues. Dust mites are found in homes, often feeding on small flakes that shed from people and pets. These flakes become embedded into the carpet, stuffed animals, bedding, and mattresses which provide the perfect environment for dust mites to thrive.
To fight the dust mite, call us today at 478-787-4728 to schedule immunotherapy or an allergy test!
Dust mites are found in warm, humid climates. These bugs can cause allergic reactions such as itchy eyes or runny nose. Decongestants or nasal steroids can help reduce your allergy symptoms. However, if the allergic reaction is severe, immunotherapy may be the best solution to your dust mite allergy.
Five Ways to Fight the Dust Mite
Although it is impossible to eliminate dust mites completely, you can take preventative measures to decrease the amount of dust mites that live in your home.
- Use a dehumidifier. Dust mites thrive in climates with 70% or higher humidity. These bugs do not thrive in cold weather or climates with 50% or less humidity.
- Wash all bedding. To kill dust mites, wash bedding and blankets at least once a week in hot water with a temperature of 130 degrees Fahrenheit or more.
- Replace wall-to-wall carpet. Tile or hardwood floors are great alternatives to carpet in the fight against dust mites. These bugs will not be able to burrow and multiply.
- Mop or vacuum regularly. Wet mop floors to trap dust. Dry mops will cause the dust to be stirred up and enter the air. Vacuuming carpet regularly with HEPA filters will help trap the dust and remove it from the carpet.
- Cover mattresses and pillows in zippered covers. Most zippered covers have small pores, too small for dust mites to enter. Bedding covers can be found in plastic, vinyl, or fabric material. Mission Allergy provides great products to help control your allergic symptoms.
Contact us today and we will create an allergy treatment plan that’s perfect for you!