Preparing Your Food-Allergic Child for Summer Camp
Posted on: May 20, 2016 | Posted in Therapeutic Services
Summer camps, whether they’re day camps or overnight camps, are great places for your child to meet friends, gain new experiences, and generally have an awesome time. But if your kiddo has a food allergy, summer camp can be an uncertain place, especially for you as a parent.
Thankfully, many summer camps are becoming more aware of how important it is to protect campers with food allergies. With some preparation by you and help from Langford Allergy, you can send your child off to camp confident that he or she will have a fun and safe time.
Before Summer Camp
If your child wants to attend summer camp, do some research before deciding which camp to choose. Some summer camps are specifically food allergy-friendly. Food Allergy Research and Education (FARE) has a list of camps for children with food allergies.
But your child doesn’t have to go to an allergy-friendly camp in order to be protected. Find out the allergy policies of several camps and the food allergy training counselors and camp physicians receive.
Once you’ve chosen a camp you think is best for your child, here’s what you can do to prepare:
- With the help of your allergist, complete a Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Emergency Care Plan to give the camp
- Tell the camp director about your child’s allergy and ensure all camp personnel who will come in contact with your child know the details of your child’s allergy
- Replace any expired medication
- Provide plenty of medication and at least two epinephrine auto-injectors
During Summer Camp
While your child is at summer camp, it will be up to him or her and the camp to monitor food allergies. Ensure your child knows everything he or she needs to know, such as:
- Which foods are safe and unsafe
- How to avoid unsafe food
- Symptoms of a reaction
- Who to notify in the event of a reaction
- How to use epinephrine
Langford Allergy can help you and your child prepare for a reaction-free summer camp. To schedule an appointment at any of our four Middle Georgia locations, call 478-787-4728 or fill out this form.